About the Professional Pharmacy Degree Program
The entire four-year Professional Pharmacy Degree Program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmaceutical Education. Graduates of the Doctor of Pharmacy program successfully attain residency opportunities at the most prestigious hospitals, clinics, and other facilities in the United States. Senior students complete practice experiences in over 30 different areas of pharmacy practice. Four senior practice experiences are elective in nature to enable students to be more fully aware of desirable career options prior to graduation. Over the last five years, University of Mississippi graduates have one of the highest first-time pass rates on the national pharmacy licensure exam of all schools/colleges of pharmacy. At the time of graduation, Doctor of Pharmacy graduates are acknowledged by preceptors associated with students from other schools of pharmacy as having excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Advantages of the Professional Pharmacy Program
– Resident tuition is among the most economical in the United States. Non-resident tuition is less than tuition charged by privately funded schools/colleges of pharmacy.
– Graduates of the Doctor of Pharmacy program demonstrate excellent problem solving, communication, and independent learning skills which are predictors of future practice excellence.
– Doctor of Pharmacy students have the opportunity to be a part of a comprehensive, traditional university campus in Oxford, as well as be a member of the University of Mississippi Medical Center campus, where they will study their third year. Students select 10 one-month rotations throughout the state to complete during their fourth professional year.
– Students are members of a comprehensive School of Pharmacy community in which not only is student scholarship expected, but also faculty scholarship (traditional pharmaceutical science research, natural product research, patient care initiatives, and pharmacy entrepreneurship) is highly valued and expected.
– School of Pharmacy students enrolled in the professional program will be awarded a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences degree after the first professional year of study, rather than having to complete six or seven years of coursework prior to receiving a college degree. Awarding of this degree not only signifies four years of college, but also provides the opportunity to enter graduate programs in the pharmaceutical sciences or other professional programs of study.
– Doctor of Pharmacy students have excellent inter-professional education opportunities on both the Oxford and Jackson campuses and are prepared to collaborate and be an integral member of the health care team when they graduate.
– Doctor of Pharmacy students are provided opportunities to learn, both in the classroom and through rotation experiences, about rural health and how to reduce health disparities.
– Doctor of Pharmacy students have dual-degree pathways to consider: PharmD/MBA and PharmD/MPH.
– Our faculty and staff are committed to academic success. Doctor of Pharmacy students are supported by an Academic Achievement Program, tutoring, student success workshops, NAPLEX preparation, and other support.
– Doctor of Pharmacy students have access to many high-engagement programs and activities. Some of the opportunities students may pursue include: research, service learning and volunteer activities, community-engagement activities, and study abroad. Our students often participate in pharmacy projects, health screenings, immunization fairs, and other community service projects.
– Our faculty and staff are committed to student success, in and out of the classroom. The School of Pharmacy provides orientations, advising, wellness resources, social and community-building activities, and professional development opportunities.
– Our students are leaders. Doctor of Pharmacy students can participate in Student Body and School of Pharmacy organizations, as well as attend regional and national pharmacy meetings and run for national offices.
– In addition to its faculty, administrators and preceptors, our school’s alumni take pride in supporting and mentoring our students. They know the value of a pharmacy degree and want to share their experience. We boast alumni in 49 states and in various leadership roles in all sectors of health care, which provides our students with a strong network for career development support.
– Doctor of Pharmacy students are given the opportunity to explore various career paths and are provided career services. They receive assistance with resumes/CVs and interview preparation. Students who pursue residencies, fellowships, graduate education, and pharmacist positions are supported by the Office of Student Services.