- Ph.D. University of Maryland
- M.S. University of Bombay, India
- B.S. University of Bombay, India
- Research Scientist in the National Center for Natural Products Research
- Associate Professor of Pharmacology
Dr. Agarwal’s research is focused on identifying the mechanism of action of novel antifungal compounds using genomic, molecular and genetic approaches. Transcript profiling studies are being conducted in Saccharomyces cerevisiae to identify the molecular pathways targeted by these compounds. The molecular targets identified are being validated using genetic and molecular strategies (e.g., use of yeast deletion mutant collections). Additional mechanistic studies include fitness profiling technology, genomic library screens and genetic screens for the isolation and characterization of resistant mutants. The overall goal of this project is to identify new compounds as well as new pathways for the development of new treatments for the major AIDS- and cancer-related disseminated fungal infections.