Article I – Name
- Section 1 – The name of this student organization shall be: Glycoscience Student Advocates
- Section 2 – The abbreviated name or acronym for this student organization shall be GSA. The remainder of the constitution will use GSA and Glycoscience Student Advocates interchangeably
Article II – Purpose/Mission Statement
- Section 1 – The purpose of this student organization is to provide opportunities to promote glycoscience knowledge by encouraging the research, education, and training of interdisciplinary glycoscience trainees.
- Section 2 – Glycoscience Student Advocates shall abide by all university policies and procedures.
Article IV – Membership
- Section 1 – The University of Mississippi students must comprise 100% of the student organization’s membership.
- Section 2 – Members of GSA must be undergraduate or graduate students who are interested or conducting glycoscience related research within The University of Mississippi.
- Section 3 – Glycoscience Student Advocates at The University of Mississippi complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any applicant for membership based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.
Article V – Officers/Executive Board
- Section 1 – The officers of GSA shall be President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Event Manager.
- Section 2 – A President is limited to serving a maximum of one term. Officers can re-run for any position. All officer positions are open to all University of Mississippi students.
- Section 3 –The term length of each position starts May 1st and ends April 30th.
- Section 4 – In the event that >50% of the Officers and the GSA Faculty/Staff Advisor deem a current Officer unfit for service, that officer will be formally notified by email or written notice and relieved from service.
- Section 5 – No reports from officers to the membership will be required.
Article VI – Elections
- Section 1 – Election of officers shall be held in the month of April. The current president of GSA will oversee elections, announce the candidates and the results.
- Section 2 – Elections will be held via an online poll, using anonymous ballots. In the event that two candidates have equal support after the initial election, then a runoff election will be held between the tied candidates. In the event of a tie during the runoff, currently elected officers and the departmental advisor will decide.
- Section 3 – In the event that no candidates run for a position, or a vacancy within GSA arises, the current GSA President will appoint a candidate, which must be approved by the GSA Faculty/Staff Advisor.
Article VII – Meetings
- Section 1 – Regular meetings of this student organization shall be held every month. All officers have the authority to call a meeting, if necessary.
- Section 2 – Quorum shall consist of half of the voting members. [A quorum is defined as the number or percentage of the total membership that must be present at a meeting.]
- Section 3 – Robert’s Rules of Order shall not apply to GSA meetings.
Article VIII– Advisors
- Section 1 – At least one full-time faculty or staff member from The University of Mississippi must serve as an advisor to the student organization.
- Section 2 – The GSA Faculty/Staff Advisor will be any faculty or staff member within the glycoscience interdisciplinary.
- Section 3 – Responsibilities of the Advisor Role include:
- Facilitating effective communication between GSA Leadership, glycoscience community, and University Administrators to fulfill the GSA Mission Statement.
- Meeting with the President of GSA to authorize GSA finances and Officer Elections
Article X – Finances (if applicable)
- Section 1 – Membership in GSA shall not require any dues.
- Section 2 – The primary source of funding for GSA is the Glycoscience Center of Research Excellence (GlyCORE) at The University of Mississippi. The GSA Faculty/Staff Advisor will authorize ALL spending on behalf of GSA.
- Section 3 – Only the GSA Treasurer and President are authorized to spend money on behalf of GSA, following approval from the GSA Faculty/Staff Advisor. In the event that another officer needs access to funds, written permission must be granted by either the Treasurer or the President, or Faculty/Staff Advisor.
- Section 4 – The outgoing Treasurer will arrange a meeting with the incoming Treasurer to explain financial processes and systems.
Article XI – Constitutional Amendments
- Section 1 – The GSA constitution may be amended by a vote of 80% of GSA members. Amendments must be proposed one meeting in advance (4 weeks). Changes are effective immediately upon their passage and it may take place at any meeting. Every time a student organization’s constitution is amended, a revised copy must be e-mailed to the Assistant Dean of Students for Leadership and Involvement.
Article XII – Bylaws
- Section 1 – All GSA members will always conduct themselves as professionals and representatives of GSA, both on and off campus and on social media. Actions of GSA members, including officers, deemed incongruent with the GSA Constitution or Mission Statement are subject to disciplinary actions.
Article XIII – Hazing Statement
- Section 1 – GSA agrees to abide by the University and Office of General Counsel Hazing Policy, which states: “The University of Mississippi prohibits hazing in any form. According to the National Fraternity Executive’s Association and Fraternity Insurance Purchasing Group, hazing is: any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shock; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips, or any other such activities carried on outside the confines of the house; publicly wearing apparel that is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other activities that are not consistent with fraternal law, ritual, or policy or the regulations and policies of the educational institution.”
Article XIIV – Dissolution Clause
- Section 1 – GSA will be effectively dissolved when there are fewer than two Officers elected to fulfill the positions of President and Treasurer.
- Section 2 – Money obtained from the Associated Student Body will be returned to ASB and shall be added to allocations designated for Registered Student Organizations.
- Section 3 – GSA will hold no outstanding debts with organizations other than ASB.