- Ph.D. University of Mississippi
- Principal Scientist in the National Center for Natural Products Research
For the past 20 years, Dr. Pugh’s primary focus of research has been on natural products that enhance immune function, with an emphasis on botanicals and dietary supplements. He has experience in both natural product chemistry and biological evaluation of high molecular weight components derived from botanicals and the naturally occurring microbial communities associated with botanicals. Areas of interest included the following:
• Botanical product development
• Biological standardization of botanicals
• Identification and characterization of immune-enhancing and inhibitory actives
• Molecules that activate/inhibit pattern recognition receptors (TLR2, TLR4, dectin-1a, dectin-1b)
• Determining the source of immune-enhancing and inhibitory components in a natural product material (e.g., plant-derived, algae-derived, bacterial-derived or fungal-derived)
• Immune-enhancing dietary supplements (especially Echinacea, Aloe vera, food-grade microalgae and mushrooms)
• Traditional systems of medicine
Development of Products:
This botanical product is a bioassay-standardized extract from the microalgae Spirulina platensisthat is used internally for enhancing immune function. The active components within ImmulinaTM are Braun-type lipoproteins (potent toll-like receptor 2 agonists). Human clinical studies and animal research demonstrates that ImmulinaTM impacts various immune targets. The intellectual property related to this product is licensed to ChromaDex, Inc. (Irvine, CA) by The University of Mississippi. ChromaDex manufactures ImmulinaTM as a dietary supplement ingredient.
AlastaⓇis a bioassay-standardized fraction derived from Aloe vera. Results from clinical studies on the use of AlastaⓇ indicates that it balances immune function by reducing overall inflammation in the body and thereby improving skin elasticity and wrinkle reduction. This product is in the Sustainable YouthⓇ skincare product line that includes elasticity cream, firming & revitalizing serum, anytime lift eye treatment, super boost night serum and ultra creamy cleansing lotion. The intellectual property is licensed to Woodcliff Skincare Solutions (Pittsburg, PA) by The University of Mississippi.
Pasco DS, Pugh NDC, ElSohly M, Ross S. High molecular weight polysaccharide fraction from Aloe vera with immunostimulatory activity. United States Patent No. 7,196,072. Licensed to Woodcliff Skincare Solutions (Pittsburg, PA).
Pasco DS, Pugh ND, ElSohly M, Ross S, ElSohly HN. Potent immunostimulants from microalgae. United States Patent No. 7,205,284. Licensed to ChromaDex, Inc. (Irvine, CA).
Pasco DS, Pugh NDC, ElSohly M, Ross S. High molecular weight polysaccharide fraction from Aloe vera with immunostimulatory activity. United States Patent No. 7,767,655. Licensed to Woodcliff Skincare Solutions (Pittsburg, PA).
Pasco DS, Pugh NDC. Potent immunostimulatory extracts from microalgae. United States Patent No. 7,846,452. Licensed to ChromaDex, Inc. (Irvine, CA).
Debaun D, Pasco DS, Pugh NDC, Pashkowsky A, Needleman A. Aloe preparation for skin enhancement. US application 20100255130. Licensed to Woodcliff Skincare Solutions (Pittsburg, PA).