- B.Sc (special) in Chemistry (1982), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- PhD in Organic Chemistry (1991), University of Muenster, Germany/University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Principal Scientist in the National Center for Natural Products Research
Dr. Herath’s interests include:
1. Isolation, purification and characterization of the biologically active metabolites from plants and microbial organisms and the total or partial synthesis of those active compounds.
2. Optimization of the activity of currently use antimalarial drugs of 8-aminoquinolines and determination of their mechanisms of activity and toxicity of this class.